As presented in the MEADFA conference in June ’22, here are some key data about the DDF developments post Covid:
1. Sales estimate TTL DDF in 2022 is $1.5B (vs $2B in 2019) and re-bouncing from $1B in 2020. A lot of expectations in 2H22 from FIFA2022.
2. Online sales has doubled vs 2019 level.
3. Passengers levels are back to ˜70% levels whereas DDF sales level are slightly higher due to a higher transaction value [driven by less trips and more purchase as a result or stock shortages followed by extra purchases].
4. Negative impact mainly coming from Far East whereas all other regions mostly recovered.
5. Category winners: Gold and fashion, even within the declined sales level they still grew over 2019.
6. Tourist mix has changed from China/KSA/UK to KSA/USA/UK impacting categories like jewelries and cosmetics.
Get in touch with St4Biz MEA for any brand or retail consultancy regarding DDF and/or the entire ME region.